Position: Tour Guide
Rate: $10-15 / hour plus tips – part time
Working Hours: Tuesdays through Sundays 11 am – 9 pm (specific tour times vary dependent on route. Special event hours and private tour hours vary.)
Do you love Madison and the city’s incredible food community? Can you command a crowd and have them listening and laughing? Would you like to work in one of the most exciting and growing sectors of our local economy? We’d love to hear from you! We are looking for passionate, energetic people who love Madison, WI’s local food scene to join our team of guides.
What makes a great guide?
Our guides are passionate about Madison’s local food scene and are enthusiastic ambassadors for Madison, WI and Madison Eats. They are local food lovers and storytellers. They are excellent hosts with a great sense of humor who are organized, and can think on their feet. Our guides are positive, responsible, detail-oriented, open-minded, empathetic and highly sensitive to people’s diverse backgrounds, cultures and differences. They are committed to supporting and strengthening diversity within our city.
What does a tour guide do?
Our guides takes groups of 2-16 guests on guided tours to some of Madison’s favorite restaurants. Tour guides lead approximately 2 to 5 tours a week (depending on the season and including daytime and nighttime shifts). Each tour lasts an average of 3-4 hours. Our guides lead the group, sharing relevant historical and neighborhood information, making sure the guests are comfortable, accommodated, well-fed and are having fun while they learn and experience what makes Madison’s food scene one of the top in the country! Tours are led on foot and by bike. Guests come from all over the world with a variety of backgrounds and physical abilities.
Guides are responsible for maintaining the tour schedule, and ensuring each guest is welcome and comfortable. The guide will also be in charge of checking in guests and following up after the tour, taking photos and other marketing and promotional materials, and maintaining positive relationships with our business partners and guests/clients.
Tour Guide Responsibilities:
- Greet guests, check them in and provide a tour overview
- Follow established tour routes and protocols for each tour stop
- Maintain tour schedule and make appropriate adjustments or accommodations as necessary
- Present historical and educational information relevant to each tour stop
- Answer guest questions, provide advice and guidance when appropriate or requested
- Lead guided tastings and brief facility tours when required
- Maintain proper financial tracking and guest logs to submit after tour
- Take photos on tours and submit after tour
- Build and maintain positive relationships with our business partners and guests/clients
- 21+ years old
- Sat/Sun afternoon AND/OR M-F daytime and evening availability May – October
- Flexibility to reserve the tour time in your schedule even if the tour doesn’t fill
- Available for a monthly guide meeting on Mondays and periodic training
- Available for intensive training during April for 4-6 days (evenings or consecutive weekends).
- Capable public speaker
- Passionate and knowledgeable about Madison and local food
- Resident of Madison or surrounding community
- Friendly and helpful attitude and demeanor
- Available by and responsive to cell phone calls/texts during tour hours (when working)
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- Event planning experience
- Experience in the hospitality, tourism, or service industries, or teaching/history fields
- Local knowledge of the food, art, music, and culture scenes, as well as Madison-area attractions
How to Apply:
Candidates that meet the above requirements and qualifications, accept the job responsibilities, and are willing to commit to training are encouraged to apply by submitting the following information AND a resume to email@example.com. Application open until positions are filled. Training will start in April.
- A brief statement detailing why you want to be a Tour Guide for Madison Eats Food Tours and how you exemplify the specific qualities we seek in a guide. This statement should outline of any specific skills and qualifications you have for the position, any previous professional experience relating to those qualifications, as well as any other skills you have that may be useful to the position or to Madison Eats Food Tours. Also provide contact information where we can reach you for follow-up.
Qualified candidates will be contacted to meet with our staff for an in-person interview. Please include your name and “Application for Tour Guide Position Spring 2017” in the email subject line. Feel free to include attachments or simply include all the information in the body of the email.
If you have any questions about the position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 608-628-8927.